New Delhi, Feb. 17 -- As global momentum builds to restrict minors' access to potentially habit-forming digital platforms, Information Technology Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw said on Tuesday that the government is negotiating age-based restrictions with social media firms.

The government is concurrently addressing the challenge of deepfakes with these digital entities, Vaishnaw said during a media briefing at the India AI Impact Summit in New Delhi.

"This has now been accepted by many countries - that age-based regulations have to be there," Vaishnaw said.

In January, the central government identified this matter as a significant concern within the annual Economic Survey. Last month, a minister from Andhra Pradesh told Bloomberg News that...