India, Nov. 30 -- The government has directed major app-based communication services, including WhatsApp, Telegram, Signal, Arattai, Snapchat, Sharechat, Jiochat and Josh, to ensure their apps cannot be used unless the device contains the active SIM card linked to the user's mobile number. The industry, however, has pushed back, calling the move rushed and poorly designed.

An executive at a major messaging platform, which received the SIM-binding directive late Friday night, told HT on condition of anonymity that the order amounts to an "overreach" by the government. The executive said the Centre had earlier made it clear that the Department of Telecommunications (DoT) has no authority over OTT services (messaging apps fall under OTT com...