India, Aug. 29 -- Lawyers across Delhi on Thursday called off their week-long strike after the Delhi Police informed them that the lieutenant governor (LG) VK Saxena's notification permitting police officers to depose before court via video conferencing from police stations has been put on hold. Officials said the order would now be implemented only after consultations with all stakeholders.

The announcement came after members of bar associations met Union home ministry officials earlier in the day. During the meeting, it was conveyed that Union home minister Amit Shah would personally meet representatives of the Bar to discuss their objections and attempt a resolution.

In a statement, Delhi Police commissioner Satish Golchha said, "The...