India, Feb. 13 -- US President Donald Trump said on Friday that a second aircraft carrier group would be heading to the Middle East soon, upping the military threat against Iran amid negotiations over its nuclear program.

"It'll be leaving very shortly," Trump told journalists when asked about reports the USS Gerald R. Ford would be moved from the Caribbean to the Middle East.

"In case we don't make a deal, we'll need it," Trump added.

Earlier, The New York Times reported that the Ford strike group's new orders will have it joining the USS Abraham Lincoln carrier strike group in the Persian Gulf as part of President Trump's resurgent pressure campaign against Iran's leaders.

Trump had indicated earlier this week that he wanted to send...