Washington, Aug. 7 -- Oscar-winning US filmmaker Francis Ford Coppola has been discharged from Rome's Tor Vergata hospital and is feeling fine, an informed medical source told RIA Novosti on Thursday.

"He was discharged after surgery and feels well," the source said.

On Tuesday, Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera reported that Coppola, the 86-year-old director of "The Godfather" movies, had been taken to the Tor Vergata hospital. The Repubblica daily reported that he had undergone heart surgery.

Coppola himself said on the same day that he was doing fine after undergoing a planned medical procedure to treat an abnormal heart rhythm.

Italian media reported that the renowned movie director had arrived in Rome specifically for the treat...