Shillong, Feb. 16 -- Meghalaya is moving 'steadily' towards regulated coal extraction, Governor Chandrashekhar H. Vijayashankar said on Monday, even as he mentioned that the livelihood of thousands of families had been hit by the ban on 'rat-hole' mining by the National Green Tribunal.

"Since the NGT ban on rat-hole coal mining, upheld by the Supreme Court, thousands of people who depended on coal mining have lost their livelihoods," he said in his traditional address to members of the Meghalaya assembly marking the commencement of the budget session for financial year 2026-27.

Vijayashankar said that the State has been working tirelessly to transition the sector toward scientific and sustainable mining practices. "Three applicants have n...