Guwahati, Aug. 19 -- Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma today said that the Gauhati High court has recently upheld the eviction drives being carried out by the government across the state.

The chief minister while talking to newsmen said that although the Congress had been assuring that they will return the lands to the evicted people once their government comes to power, yet the court's order made it clear that the lands evicted so far cannot be returned to evictees.

The Gauhati High Court Division bench comprising Chief Justice Ashish Kumar and Justice Arun Dev Choudhury on Monday upheld the Government's action of evicting forest lands from encroachers.

The court further asked the government to fence the forest areas with barbe...