How high intake of vitamin D is affecting children in Kashmir
Click here to read full article from source
Srinagar, Jan. 11 -- When two-year-old Ahmad started to vomit recurrently and showed aversion to food, his parents dismissed it as a stomach problem and sought the pediatrician's help.
It was found that his sickness was triggered by abnormally high levels of vitamin D. "The parents had given him vitamin D supplements (60,000 units) for one year on their own without conducting the tests. With the result, his vitamin D levels rose to 128 against the standard 20 nanograms per milliliter (ng/ml). This was a classic case of vitamin D toxicity and can prove fatal," the doctor treating him said.
Ahmad is not an isolated case. Health experts said that a lot of young patients are nowadays reporting symptoms caused due to vitamin D overdose. Vita...
To read the full article or to get the complete feed from this publication, please Contact Us