Manila, Feb. 13 -- The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Friday said it is ready to face any independent investigation into allegations that suspects were tortured in the killing of a Bulacan police officer whose body was found in a septic tank last month.

In a statement, PNP chief Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. said standard procedures were followed in the arrest and detention of suspects in the case of SSgt. Renato Casauay Jr.

"The Philippine National Police strictly follows established procedures, especially our existing policy that ensures that the rights of the any accused in a crime is protected," Nartatez said.

"But we welcome any effort to question the procedure and we are open to any investigation in the spirit of truth and...