New Delhi, Feb. 17 -- A defamation case by Malaysia's telecoms regulator against an Australian resident in Thailand was formally withdrawn from a Thai court on Monday after mediation, the sued man and his lawyer said.
The case has caused concern among free speech advocates because it was seen as a form of cross-border repression.
The Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission, or MCMC, had already acknowledged in a statement earlier this month that it had reached a settlement agreement on Jan. 12, which would the drop criminal proceedings against Murray Hunter. That said it was also withdrawing a civil case in Malaysia against Hunter.
Hunter was sued in connection with articles he had posted on his Substack online newsletter.
...
Click here to read full article from source
To read the full article or to get the complete feed from this publication, please
Contact Us.