KUALA LUMPUR, Feb. 10 -- The Home Ministry is in the process of amending the Registration of Criminals and Undesirable Persons Act 1969 to introduce a "second chance" mechanism.

Home Minister Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail said this will include a system to deactivate certain criminal records after a crime-free period.

"The Home Ministry is currently in the process of amending the Registration of Criminals and Undesirable Persons Act 1969, or Act 7, which is the legal basis for registering individuals convicted of offences in the criminal registry.

"The proposal had been presented to the Cabinet, which agreed on May 21, 2025, to allow the Home Ministry to begin efforts to amend the Act," he told Parliament during the Minister's Q...