Trump says Venezuela airspace to be considered 'closed in its entirety'
Washington, Nov. 30 -- US President Donald Trump said airlines should consider the airspace above and around Venezuela to be closed as his administration continues to threaten more aggressive steps against President Nicolas Maduro's government.
US forces have been massing in the region as Trump weighs military action that would go beyond US strikes on boats that Washington claims are ferrying narcotics toward the US.
In recent days, Trump has hinted at potential US operations on land in Venezuela, but stopped short of specifying whether the US would begin such strikes, or when.
Trump's vague announcement on Saturday about the country's airspace may prove to be a bid for leverage in any eventual negotiations with Maduro, whether held directly or indirectly. Or it could be a precursor to expanded strikes in the region, which have been carried out so far against boats under suspect legal authority and drawn concern from allies.
"To all Airlines, Pilots, Drug Dealers, and Human Traffickers, please consider THE AIRSPACE ABOVE AND SURROUNDING VENEZUELA TO BE CLOSED IN ITS ENTIRETY," Trump wrote in a social post from his Mar-a-Lago club in Florida. P12...
To read the full article or to get the complete feed from this publication, please
Contact Us.