Regularisation of daily wagers to start from this year in phased manner: Omar
Jammu, Feb. 20 -- Chief minister Omar Abdullah,on Thursday said that his government will start the process of regularising daily wagers, adhoc and other temporary workers in a legally and financially viable manner from new fiscal year in a phased manner, even as it works to fill nearly 30,000 vacant posts during the current year.
Replying to the discussion on grants of his departments and cut motions in the legislative assembly, the CM said that every MLA highlighted their issue during the ongoing Budget session.
"If I wanted to be dishonest to their sentiments then I would have kept quiet for 3 to 3.6 years and then in the last year of my government, could have dragged it for some time and then just before the elections I could have cited model code of conduct to wash off my hands. This is what has happened with them in the past," said Omar.
He further said the issue of daily wagers and temporary workers was raised by members across party lines and acknowledged that the problem had persisted for decades. "These employees have been struggling for 20, 30 and even 40 years. No government has been able to fully resolve the issue. We had brought the issue to a point but then our government ceased. We had done some exercise and handed it to PDP-BJP government but what they did, they better know," he said.
The CM informed that a panel under chief secretary had been constituted to examine the matter. "Once the committee submits its report and the groundwork is completed, we will place everything before the people," he said.
Over one lakh daily wagers and casual labourers are currently engaged across government departments in Jammu and Kashmir. He highlighted that the registered workforce includes 69,696 casual labourers, 8,836 daily rated workers, 8,534 seasonal labourers, 5,757 food and civil supplies helpers, 2,153 part-time sweepers and 1,929 persons engaged through the hospital development fund.
The J&K government on Thursday informed the legislative assembly that around 70,000 persons were involved in substance abuse in Kashmir, out of which nearly 50,000 were heroin users.
Replying to a question by MLA Javid Riyaz, the health and medical education department said J&K, like many other regions of the country, is confronted with the menace of narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances, posing serious social and public health concerns.
While the reply stated that the government has adopted a multi-pronged strategy to tackle the issue, it also mentioned that a joint survey in 2022 by the health department and social welfare department in 10 districts of Kashmir found 70,000 persons to be involved in substance use.
An order issued by the deputy magistrate of Kishtwar district to regulate charity and donations during the month of Ramzan drew the ire of Congress legislators and deputy chief minister (CM) Surinder Choudhary here on Thursday.
While drawing attention of the Speaker AR Rather in the legislative assembly, Congress MLA Ghulam Ahmad Mir said "to put regulation on donations pertaining to a religion has probably happened for the first time in the history of India. I think the order should be revoked and CM should take its cognisance."
Another Congress legislator Nizammudin Bhat also echoed the same demand. "Charity and Zakat are religious obligations and are not given after informing authorities. It amounts to intruding privacy. Charity is, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing. The order is absolutely unconstitutional order and ultra-vires . I request CM to examine it and get it withdrawn," Bhat said.
While speaking to reporters outside the legislative assembly, deputy CM Surinder Choudhary said, "I don't think DCs should get into religious affairs but it's new age. we have new officers and new DCs. And when one gets more than what he deserved then he starts showing his power but I would say that officers should not intervene and speak on religious affairs."
The leader of Opposition Sunil Sharma, however, welcomed the order and said, the step was taken to prevent misuse of charitable funds for unlawful or anti-national activities. "Such safeguards are necessary to ensure that religious donations such as Zakat are not diverted for subversive purposes," he said.
When contacted, Kishtwar DC, Pankaj Sharma, said, "The order has been issued following a directive of the CM to all the DCs at a meeting in run up to Ramzan. All the DCs were directed to regulate donations and the purpose is to ensure that such donations reached poor and destitute people."
As per the order, no individual, NGO, trust, society or committee shall collect donations whether in cash, kind or digital mode without valid registration under the relevant laws and prior written clearance from the Executive Officer, Waqaf Board Unit Kishtwar, Imam Jamia Masjid Kishtwar (President Majlis Shura Committee), or the concerned Tehsildars.
"While Zakat and Sadaqah are sacred religious practices during Ramadan, any fraudulent solicitation or misrepresentation would be treated seriously to prevent misuse of public contributions meant for welfare and religious purposes," it stated further. Meanwhile, head Imam of Jamia Masjid Kishtwar, Farooq Ahmed Kitchloo expressed gratitude to the Kishtwar DC for issuing such an order. "I have its copy with me. It was much-needed. Several people from Poonch-Rajouri and Kashmir come here during Ramzan. Last year we caught five boys, who were from Kupwara and when we said that we would take their photos and expose them, they started crying and apologised. They were looting people. So, verification was much needed and should be done to ensure checks and balances."...
To read the full article or to get the complete feed from this publication, please
Contact Us.