Cong MLAs walkout over delays in STP completion
Jaipur, Feb. 21 -- The state assembly on Friday witnessed uproar as Congress MLAs staged a walkout over delays in completing sewage treatment plant (STP) projects. The protest followed urban development and housing minister Jhabar Singh Kharra's reply, which blamed flaws in tenders issued during the previous Congress regime for the delay, triggering sharp exchanges between the treasury and Opposition benches.
Kharra was responding to a question raised by deputy Leader of Opposition Ramkesh Meena, who said several cities had been dug up for sewerage works while STP projects remained incomplete and sought a timeline for their completion. In his reply, Kharra said several projects failed to comply with operation and maintenance conditions, blaming alleged irregularities in tenders issued during the previous Congress government. "Sewer pipelines were laid without proper calculation of inlet and outlet levels. In many cases, the inlet was lowered and the outlet raised, creating technical faults. Efforts are being made to rectify these errors," he said.
Congress legislators objected to the minister's remarks, alleging that he was shifting blame instead of providing a clear timeline. As the Speaker moved to the next question amid the uproar, Congress MLAs walked out of the House in protest.
Parliamentary affairs minister Jogaram Patel termed the walkout "regrettable," saying the opposition left the House because the response did not suit them. BSP MLA Manoj Nyangli also criticized the disruptions, saying such protests waste the time of other members.
Responding to a separate query by Congress MLA Ghanshyam Mehar, agriculture minister Kirodi Lal Meena said there was no shortage of urea or DAP fertilisers in the state.
He acknowledged that farmers were seen standing in queues at several places but said the situation was not alarming and no untoward incidents occurred. "There was no lathi-charge anywhere, unlike during the previous regime," he said, adding that the Centre supplied fertilisers as per demand.
Meena attributed the increased demand to a prolonged monsoon that kept soil moisture intact for a longer period, leading to expanded sowing areas and higher fertiliser requirements.
On action against fake fertiliser and seed traders, the minister said the government had launched a crackdown, sealing 27 factories involved in manufacturing counterfeit products. Over 100 cases have been registered, 169 licences cancelled, and 28 arrests made. In 21 cases, the accused secured anticipatory bail, he said, claiming the action was far stricter than during the previous Congress rule.
On vacancies in government schools, education minister Madan Dilawar alleged that the previous Congress government upgraded 6,264 schools without creating a single new post.
"Even English-medium schools were upgraded without sanctioning additional posts. Children were made to sit in classrooms without teachers," he said, accusing the previous regime of jeopardising students' future.
Dilawar said the current government has initiated large-scale recruitment to fill vacant posts. In 2024, recruitment was announced for 2,202 posts, with results declared. In 2025, 3,225 posts were advertised. For senior teachers, 2,129 posts were notified in 2024 and 6,500 in 2025. Overall, the process to fill around 72,000 posts is underway, he said.
Social justice and empowerment minister Avinash Gehlot informed the House on Friday that cadre restructuring in the department is currently underway and assured that a post of Establishment Officer will be created in Kota division based on population and workload.
Replying to supplementary questions raised by MLA Sandeep Sharma during Question Hour, the minister said a total of 10 posts of Establishment Officer are sanctioned in the department. Earlier, six such posts were approved at the directorate level. Considering Jaipur's status as a divisional headquarters and its large population and workload, one post each has been created for Jaipur city and Jaipur rural.
Gehlot said the first phase of cadre restructuring began on November 10, 2025, and approval from the Finance Department was obtained on January 7, 2026. In the second phase, sanctioned posts were divided between scheduled and non-scheduled areas, enabling promotion opportunities for personnel. In the third phase, the process of distributing 586 sanctioned posts in non-scheduled areas and 64 posts in scheduled areas under the ministerial cadre is ongoing, based on functional requirements and budget provisions....
To read the full article or to get the complete feed from this publication, please
Contact Us.