Chandigarh, Aug. 28 -- While the list of approved candidates for the Panjab University Campus Students Council (PUCSC) will be displayed on Thursday, there was pandemonium after the nomination of at least five candidates was not approved by their respective departments. A protest broke out at the dean students welfare (DSW) building in the afternoon as a grievance committee meeting to go over objections filed against candidatures of various candidates went on till the filing of this report. Ashmeet Singh of University Institute of Legal Studies (UILS) had filled his nomination for the post of vice-president from Sath party. However, there was uncertainty throughout the day over the acceptance of his nomination as his candidature wasn't accepted by the department and sent to the DSW office for consideration. Members of Sath blocked the ramp from the DSW office to the PUCSC committee room on the second floor where the meeting took place. Jodh Singh, a senior member of the party who was present outside the DSW office said that it was a deliberate attempt to delay campaigning for their party. "The problem has to do with a medical exemption that Ashmeet had taken for the final year of his LLB degree. We had gone to the Punjab and Haryana high court to ensure that the medical reason is valid but still the department has not approved it," he said. While DSW Amit Chauhan remained unavailable to explain the case, a former PU senator explained the issue was that Ashmeet had taken medical exemption for the particular exam but had still not cleared it, even as PU had re-conducted the exam for those with medical exemption, and no further exemption had been given. In a video that went viral after 10 pm on Wednesday, members of Sath were seen trying to barge inside the committee room of the DSW building where the meeting was going on while the campus security held them back. One of the Sath members was also heard saying that they will not compromise with the authorities and they were shouting slogans against the DSW. The protest by Sath was lifted around 11 pm. Members of Sath claimed that authorities have agreed to consider Ashmeet's nomination for the PU polls. However, sources revealed that the final call will be taken on Thursday. While there were Sath members protesting outside the meeting, members of other parties were also present. Following a scuffle between Indian National Students Organisation (INSO) and Students Organisation of Panjab University (SOPU), both parties had filed objections against each other's general secretary candidates but they were also not resolved. The process of filing of objections was to take place between 12.30 pm to 1.30 pm. During this, as reported by one of the cops deployed in PU, a group of students from INSO was going to submit an objection regarding the candidate of SOPU in UILS. However, the SOPU group intercepted the INSO group students and attacked them before they could enter the department. Police had to intervene and around five of the students were also taken to the PU police post to cool off. Both groups have filed objections against each other's candidates and the DSW will take a final call regarding this. Another brawl was also reported between two former National Students Union of India (NSUI) leaders over submitting an objection to the candidate Sumit Sharma in the Geography department. The matter was controlled by the police and campus security. There was also a scuffle in the South Campus as University Institute of Engineering and Technology (UIET) was taking too long to paste the final list on their department board. While candidates were made to sign an undertaking that they will not break any of the rules as mentioned in the Lyngdoh Committee Recommendations which bans using printed stickers and littering, when ABVP announced Gauravveer Sohal as their president candidate, lots of printed pieces of paper were thrown across Students Centre. To the party's credit, they did better than parties like NSUI and Himachal Pradesh Students Union (HPSU) by using regular paper rather than the glossy non disposable one, it is still a violation of the poll code. PU CUS Vikram Singh said that videography of the event was done and a detailed report will be submitted to the DSW. There was also an issue with the candidature of at least two more candidates vying for the president post. As per documents accessed from the DSW office, they had secured backs in the previous academic session and were not deemed eligible, however there was confusion regarding whether this eligibility rule extended only to the present year as mentioned under the Lyngdoh Committee Regulations. PU is yet to take final call on this matter. As per a statement shared by PU, DSW Amit Chauhan said, "We are conducting the PUCSC elections strictly in accordance with the applicable PU rules and regulations. The DSW Office is working as per the timelines already communicated to students and other stakeholders on August 22."...