maharashtra cancels 5% muslim quota
NEW DELHI, Feb. 19 -- The Union government has warned government officials that sharing "classified/sensitive" information with media could attract proceedings under the Official Secrets Act(OSA).
Last month, the ministry of home affairs circulated a classified note to secretaries of all ministries and departments, updating a circular sent out 28 years ago, by adding the threat of proceedings under OSA, people familiar with the matter said, briefing Hindustan Times on the contents of the note. The circular mentioned that it was prompted by a "spurt in the incidents of leakage of sensitive information to unauthorized or undesirable elements having potential of jeopardizing the overall national interest and security besides being a source of embarrassment to the government."
The circular also targets "any unauthorized communication with the media" and says this should be responded to with "suitable action". To be sure, the provision does not apply to authorised spokespersons.
"It is the duty of all government servants to safeguard the information and documents to which they have access in the course of their official duties. Any unauthorized communication with the media should be dealt with by suitable action, and in case of sharing of any classified/ sensitive information, stringent action under the Official Secrets Act needs to be contemplated," said the note, according to one of the people cited above who spoke on condition of anonymity.
HT learns that the three-page circular was also sent to the heads of paramilitary forces.
HT reached out to the PIB and the MHA spokespersons but didn't receive any response.
The note has raised eyebrows in bureaucratic circles because of its departure from the original December,1998 version, which was more of an advisory and didn't have any reference to OSA. What they do have in common, 18 years apart, are references to recent leaks from within the government. It is not very clear which particular leak prompted the note, which was circulated in the second week of January.
"It is reiterated that such a delinquency on the part of a Government servant is a clear violation of the Rule 11 of the CCS (Conduct) Rules,'' the circular reads, according to the person cited above.
The government note, according to the people cited in the first instance, asks officials to direct any queries from journalists to the Press Information Bureau (PIB) or ask for the secretary's permission before responding.It also suggests that officials may designate a special area in government offices for interactions with the media....
To read the full article or to get the complete feed from this publication, please
Contact Us.