3 terrorists involved in Pahalgam attack: NIA
New Delhi, Aug. 29 -- The National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Thursday confirmed that "three terrorists" affiliated to the proscribed outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) were directly involved in the April 22 Pahalgam terror attack, which claimed 26 lives and triggered a massive armed retaliation by India on terror infrastructures in Pakistan.
NIA officials said the terrorists chose the picturesque Baisaran meadow - touted as Mini Switzerland for its serene beauty - in Jammu and Kashmir's Pahalgam as the target for the attack due to its high tourist presence and relative isolation.
"The terrorists assessed the relative isolation of the site and the likelihood of a delayed response from security forces before finalising it," an NIA officer said, requesting anonymity.
Despite its popularity as one of the most sought-after tourist spots in Kashmir, Baisaran meadow can be reached only by ponies or foot due to lack of motorable roads.
On April 22, terrorists targeted only male tourists, killing 25 of them, as well as a local pony guide.
"The choice of location showed that the terrorists intended to maximise casualties and spread fear by targeting civilians in a popular tourist hub," the officer added.
Although initial survivor accounts suggested presence of four to five terrorists, NIA's findings have now confirmed that the attack was carried out by three Pakistani terrorists.
The agency also highlighted the role of two local overground workers (OGWs) who provided food, shelter and logistical support to the terrorists in exchange for Rs.3,000. "The duo -Parvaiz Ahmad Jothar from Batkote and Bashir Ahmad Jothar from Pahalgam-were arrested in June. Their disclosures helped confirm the identities of the attackers as Pakistani nationals linked to LeT," a second officer said, also declining to be named.
NIA is preparing to file a charge sheet against them under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, the officer added.
The three LeT terrorists, who were killed in the July 28 encounter code-named Operation Mahadev on the outskirts of Srinagar, had been hiding in the Dachigam-Harwan forest belt since the attack, the officer said.
On July 30, during a special discussion on Operation Sindoor - India's military action against terror infrastructure in Pakistan and POK - in the Lok Sabha, Union home minister Amit Shah had confirmed that the three neutralised terrorists from LeT were behind the attack....
To read the full article or to get the complete feed from this publication, please
Contact Us.