Dhaka, Feb. 12 -- The Election Commission (EC) has said there is no alarming situation in the Feb 12 election and referendum, even as scattered incidents surface outside polling centres.

At a briefing at the Nirbachan Bhaban after 1pm, EC Secretary Akhtar Ahmed said isolated disruptions had been contained by local authorities and none had forced a suspension.

"All centres are running," he said, adding that incidents were largely beyond the perimeter of polling stations and "swiftly" intercepted.

By 12pm, turnout had reached 32.88 percent across 32,789 centres out of 42,651 nationwide. Data was gathered between 7:30am and noon.

Akhter said the commission has shifted its data-collection method, now sourcing figures from assistant return...