Dhaka, July 28 -- Rajib Bhattachariya, 36, passed away at Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn and Plastic Surgery on Tuesday morning, said Dr Partha Shankar Pal.

Rajib, a neurosurgeon of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University, had suffered burns to 87 percent of his body, said Pal.

The fire erupted when Rajib was pouring hand sanitiser from one bottle to another in their second-storey flat on a building near Eastern Plaza, said Kalabagan Police Station OC Paritosh Chandra Sen.

Some sanitiser spilt at that time and fire from mosquito coil or some other source sparked a flame, Paritosh said.

His wife Anushka Bhattacharya, 32, registrar of the ophthalmology department at Central Medical College in Shyamoli, was injured when she...