Karachi, Jan. 24 -- Nearly a week after the catastrophic fire at Gul Plaza shopping complex, the death toll has risen to 71 as rescue teams recovered additional human remains during ongoing search operations, Dunya News reported.

Deputy Commissioner South Javed Nabi Khoso on Saturday said that of the 82 people reported missing following the blaze, bodies or remains of 71 victims have been recovered so far, while 11 persons are still unaccounted for. He added that around 90 per cent of the plaza has been cleared and the search operation is expected to conclude by tonight.

Khoso said rescue teams, using snorkels, re-entered the upper floors of the fire-damaged building, though search efforts have yet to begin in the most sensitive section...