Fear of arrests grips Darbhanga village after wage dispute clashes
DARBHANGA, Feb. 7 -- Uncertainty continues to prevail in Harinagar village under Kusheshwar Asthan police station in Bihar's Darbhanga district following clashes last week over a wage dispute, which led to the registration of two FIRs, multiple arrests, and an alleged exodus of villagers fearing arrest.
The incident dates back to the afternoon of January 30, when a dispute during a village panchayat meeting escalated into a physical confrontation between two families-one belonging to the Dalit community and the other from the Brahmin community-over a monetary issue. According to police, the situation worsened the following day, resulting in violence and the registration of cross cases. The second FIR, in particular, triggered widespread speculation about a personal dispute being given a caste dimension.
So far, 13 people have been arrested, while 71 individuals-all from the Brahmin community-have been named in the FIRs.
Amid the volatile situation, Darbhanga DM Kaushal Kumar and SSP Jagunath Raddi visited Harinagar, around 60 km east of the district headquarters, on Thursday evening as part of a confidence-building exercise.
Speaking to Hindustan Times on Friday, the SSP said innocent persons would not be harassed. "No action will be taken against innocent people who have been falsely implicated. However, those found guilty will not be spared. The investigation will be fair and evidence-based," he said. He added peace committee meetings had been held and the situation in the village was peaceful and normal. The SSP said the Biraul SDPO had been assigned to supervise the investigation, while denying reports that an SIT had been constituted to probe the matter.
Police records show the first FIR was lodged on January 30 by Hemant Jha, naming eight persons, including three sons of complainant Asharfi Paswan and three women. The FIR alleges assault, snatching of valuables and threats to falsely implicate the accused under the SC/ST Act.
The following day, Asharfi Paswan lodged a second FIR under various sections of the BNS and SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act. This complaint named 71 persons from the Brahmin community and accused 100-150 unidentified individuals of participating in the attack.
The second FIR, which names a large section of the village population, triggered panic, with several families reportedly leaving their homes fearing arrest. Locals alleged even those working outside the village were named in the complaint. Some villagers went on to allege that the complainant reportedly took help from voters' list to pick up names of the accused, a fact which could not be corroborated by police....
To read the full article or to get the complete feed from this publication, please
Contact Us.