Trump says he is weighing limited militarystrike on Iran
Paris, Feb. 21 -- US President Donald Trump on Friday said he was considering a limited strike on Iran after ordering a major naval buildup in the Middle East aimed at heaping pressure on Tehran to cut a deal to curb its nuclear programme. The latest threat came after Iran's foreign minister said a draft proposal for an agreement with Washington would be ready in a matter of days following negotiations between the two sides in Geneva earlier this week.
Trump had suggested on Thursday that "bad things" would happen if Tehran did not strike a deal within 10 days, which he subsequently extended to 15. Asked whether he was contemplating a limited military strike, Trump answered: "The most I can say - I am considering it."
In Geneva, Tehran said the two sides had agreed to submit drafts of a potential agreement, which Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi told US media would be the "next step".
The tensions between the longtime adversaries have ramped up as the Trump administration pushes for concessions from Iran and has built up the largest U.S. military presence in the Middle East in decades, with more warships and aircraft on the way.
"We are prepared for diplomacy, and we are prepared for negotiation as much as we are prepared for war," Araghchi said Friday.P15...
To read the full article or to get the complete feed from this publication, please
Contact Us.