govt officials who leak info to media may face osa action
NEW DELHI, Feb. 19 -- The Union government has warned government officials that sharing "classified/sensitive" information with media could attract proceedings under the Official Secrets Act (OSA).
Last month, the ministry of home affairs circulated a classified note to secretaries of all ministries and departments, updating a circular sent out 28 years ago, by adding the threat of proceedings under OSA, people familiar with the matter said, briefing Hindustan Times on the contents of the note.
The circular mentioned it was prompted by a "spurt in the incidents of leakage of sensitive information to unauthorised or undesirable elements having potential of jeopardising the overall national interest and security besides being a source of embarrassment to the government." It also targets "any unauthorised communication with the media" and says this should be responded to with "suitable action". To be sure, the provision does not apply to authorised spokespersons. HT learns the circular was also sent to the heads of paramilitary forces. P10...
To read the full article or to get the complete feed from this publication, please
Contact Us.