CHB cracks down on building violations
Chandigarh, Feb. 19 -- In a first-of-its-kind enforcement drive, the Chandigarh Housing Board (CHB) has issued notices to around 1,300 house owners for building violations, directing them to deposit demolition and restoration charges within seven days or face action.
The notices not only flag the violations but also specify the exact amount each allottee must pay.
The action covers dwelling units in Sectors 39, 41 and 45, with demolition charges ranging between Rs.2 lakh and Rs.5 lakh, depending on the nature and extent of the violations.
A senior CHB official confirmed the development. "Notices have been issued and allottees have been given seven days' time to either deposit the specified charges within seven days of receiving the notice or demolish and restore the unauthorised portions themselves. Once the amount is paid, the board will itself carry out demolition of the violations. If they fail to comply, we will proceed with demolition as per rules," the officer said.
The officer added that further action, including cancellation of the dwelling unit, may also be initiated against defaulters.
The crackdown follows directions from the Punjab and Haryana high court, which ordered the CHB to ensure the structural safety of its dwelling units and recover the cost of removing violations and restoring structures from the allottees on a pro-rata basis. CHB Residents' Federation chairman Nirmal Dutt termed the move a "gross injustice" to residents.
He said the allottees had been seeking relaxations for over 40 years but were repeatedly denied relief....
To read the full article or to get the complete feed from this publication, please
Contact Us.